Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Chicken Recipe


I have been getting requests for quite a while for my chicken recipe, so I thought I would blog it here.... And another thing, I do this with all kinds of meat -- whole chicken (breast side down for moisture), any kind of beef roast, and I roast this way (on top of veggies) with other kinds of meat (pork, lamb) as well, but may skip the Emeril's. It is a one pan food and the meat flavors the veggies so deliciously. It takes about 10 minutes of prep at most, and the rest of it the oven does! Leave out high carb veggies, and this is an EASY way to low carb. Make a lot of veggies, and then throw them in with some stock and puree (or don't) and add whole milk or cream and you have a great soup, too!

RPW's Fantastic Amazing Chicken
  • a bag of chicken quarters

  • vegetables, cut up (usually I use at least celery, onion, carrots, garlic, and maybe potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, cauliflower, etc.)

  • oil that will tolerate medium to high heat

  • Emeril's Essence seasoning

  • sea salt or kosher salt


  1. Set oven for 500 degrees

  2. Cut up vegetables into large chunks. Put into roasting pan and apply oil liberally and sprinkle with salt.

  3. Lay chicken quarters over the vegetables, apply oil to them liberally as well, sprinkle with salt, and liberally apply Emeril's Essence spice seasoning and massage into the skin of the chicken.

  4. Put into oven and roast at 500 degrees for 30 minutes (to get a crisp skin (oh my goodness) and hold in the moisture.

  5. Turn temperature down to 350 degrees and roast for another hour.
Notes:
I use Amish chicken that I get at my meat market. It is healthier and more flavorful, but not as costly as free-range.

oil: I use a mix called Mary's blend that is a 1:1:1 ratio of coconut oil, sesame oil, and olive oil. It has the metabolism benefits of coconut oil, the heat tolerance of sesame oil, and the flavoring of olive oil -- and it keeps the coconut oil liquid. This recipe can be found in Nourishing Traditions or in Eat Fat Lose Fat, both by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. The oil keeps the veggies from burning up as well, and don't skimp on it. Fat is actually good for you, and helps you absorb the fat-soluble vitamins (like A) in the veggies. Go one better, and put butter on the veggies when you are done. It IS good for you.

Emeril's Essence: This is the stuff he puts on food when he yells "BAM." The recipe is here. You can also buy it in the grocery store, and in a big container at Sam's Club. It does list "other spices" which often means MSG or other really bad for you preservatives. However, I have never gotten around to making it. With the amount that I use, I probably should.

2 comments:

Just us Wryms said...

The chicken sounds wonderful! I'm copying down the directions for dinner tomorrow. I didn't realize that you were battling pcos too, best wishes in a hard battle.

Just us Wryms said...

Delicious! I made the chicken for supper tonight and WOW, it's great, no wonder you got lots of people asking you for this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it.